In this report, we are presenting the Las Vegas Trade show for the Spring / Summer ‘13 denim trends. This trend report has been prepared by Stylesight and kindly shared with us. Its PRINTS, PATTERNS and PRINTS all over . Its like the whole world has been printed in some or other motif !. Denim prints, which were unthinkable a few years ago , now seem to be the major trend among top brands – though medium and mass labels have yet to pick it up in a big way . But surely, its coming !. Here are the key findings from the report.
Aloha Denim (Print + Pattern)
- The seasonally appropriate Hawaiian story reaches saturation point for S/S 13.
- A 50s vacation theme drives new retro takes on this summer story / Retro postcard scenes and placements /Tropical all overs feature palms, parrots and sunsets / Hand-drawn looks conjure 70s wallpapers / Photo-realistic looks offer a more modern interpretation / Key unisex story for denim brands.
Photo-Real (Print + Pattern)
- One of the most important and visually impactful trends at the show, digital photo prints are key for S/S 13.
- Digitally rendered prints adorn entire pant silhouettes / Engineered artworks are designed to work with pant shapes /all-over repeats of sunglasses create a summery attitude / City-scapes and sunset horizons are key / Color-blocked photo prints offer a fresh take.
Painterly Print (Wash + Color)
- Denim brands play with the concept of prints replicating laundries or vice-versa
- Layered graphic dye effects look digitally printed / Detailed batik and tie-dyed create a more sophisticated aesthetic/ Print techniques in mottled and layered paintery effects / Abstracted florals offer an updated feminine look.
Galaxy wash (Wash + Color )
- Photo-real prints and diffused laundries create a new frontier of laundered denim.
- The photo-real trend enables digitally created space-scapes to adorn denim / Airbrushed and bleach splashed surfaces evoke stars and galaxies / Deep and dark color palettes / Strong hi-lo contrasts / Ethereal looks and techniques apply to a unisex market.
Sponged Color (Wash + Color)
- New color applications take over from tie-dye looks for S/S 13.
- Sprayed, sponged and blotched color is applied to denim surface / 3, 4 and 5 colors in one jean / Batik techniques add another dimension / Soft focus and bled pigments and dyes / Creates a new update to hippie tie-dye looks.
- The holographic trend, which emerged last season at the Las Vegas shows, continues for S/S 13.
- Multi-tonal metallics and holographic PU coatings / Pearlescent qualities update pastel color ranges / Manish Arora x Notify continue their collaboration with holographic finish washable leathers / Focus is on 3-5 shades of metallic in one jean.
Opulent Denim (Print + Pattern)
- Opulent denim surfaces emerge for S/S 13.
- A trend that’s set to progress into F/W 13 / Deep and dark shades of black, indigo and burgundy / Accents in antique gold and bronze / Heavy and dense embroideries / Foil prints and lasered “burn-out” looks / Wallpaper designs, rococo and arabesque artworks / fits in with the Outré trend for F/W 13.
Paisley Indigo ( Print + Pattern )
- For Juniors, the Paisley skinny becomes an essential item in many denim ranges.
- Bright indigo and stark white are paired / Micro repeats and scaled-up allovers / The Bandanna print was noted at many S/S 13 vendors / Denim Jacquard trends for Women’s markets / Lasered denim effects create a subtle and tonal look.
Indigo Pattern ( Print + Pattern )
- A huge trend for both Men’s and Women’s markets, this look has been key at all trade shows from Berlin to Copenhagen.
- Discharge prints, laser technology, embroidered motifs and indigo jacquards are all key / Adds textural interest to Summer indigo garments / Micro repeats and jacquards trend / Embroideries nod to traditional British menswear looks / Key unisex story.
Summer Blanket ( Print + Pattern )
- The success of the blanket lined trucker has led to summer versions of blanket stripe emerge on the market.
- Re-working internal blanket stripes into external prints / Wider-spaced awning stripes are key for S/S 13 / Double faced chambrays offer a summer alternative to fleecy blanket qualities / Printed and yarn-dyed stripes / Girly colorways are key for the womens wear market.
Ticking Stripe ( Print + Pattern )
- The success of the railroad stripe has led to traditional ticking stripes emerging in the market.
- Purist denim brands begin to favor ticking over railroads / Clean and crisp indigo and white cloths / Faded and antiqued looks replicate antique garments / Variegated stripe patterns create further interest / Wider-placed prison stripes also remain key.
The Gold-Rush Vest Product
- Brands continue to tap into Old West styling for a traditional take on workwear.
- Styling ranges from mid-17th century gold-rush looks to more 30’s influenced workwear / Utility styling is taken over by a more gentlemanly look / Collared waistcoats borrow from maritime looks / Color-blocking and pinstriped fabrics add interest.
Granddad Shirt Product
- A new unisex shirt shape for Summer 13, this Spartan Granddad silhouette was seen at many key vendors. Small stand collars create a puritanical attitude / Half-placket styling remains strong / Color blocked detailing gives the item a more modernist look / Bib seams nod to traditional menswear looks / Elongated bed-shirt silhouettes.
Bowling Shirt Product
- The 50s short-sleeved shirt becomes an essential Men’s item for S/S 13. Retro, Button-down styling / Clean chambrays and lightweight denims / New Spread-collar styling for on-trend, directional brands / Crisp and short sleeve length / Single or twin pocket styling / Boxy loose shape replicated the Hawaiian shirt block.
Chambray Classics Styling
- Chambray continues to dominate the Summer denim market for both guys and girls.
- A key fabrication for Summer 13, re-working classic shapes in this lightweight cloth give and immediate update / Traditional 5-pocket jeanswear styling is a refreshing alterative to tailored items / Colored chambrays uptrend, particularly red and grey shades / The pleat front trucker and railroad jacket is re-worked for Summer.
- The classic shirt-dress is re-worked for Summer 13, with innovative and directional updates.
- Outdoorsy, parker styling gives the classic shirtdress a tom-boy attitude / Mending function and fashion for a fresh take on a womens wear item / Retro 70s styling drives fitted, Charlie’s Angels style pieces / Functional zip-through detailing is key / Simple shift and shell dress updates offer high-summer appeal / Bright, 70s cast denims and light weight chambrays.
All-Weather Summer ( Print + Pattern )
- Unisex story; brands explore functional outerwear silhouettes and detailing for Summer 2013.
- The denim cape emerges for Women and Juniors / Hooded jackets, storm flaps and drawstrings add functionality / Multi-pocket parker shapes / Military and utility references / Lightweight denims and chambrays lend summer appeal to traditionally winter items / The popover style trends for men.
Indigo Camo ( Print + Pattern )
- Camouflage repeats have been trending for some time, but S/S 13 collections continue to celebrate this classic print.
- Camo repeats over indigo denims and chambrays modernize the color palette / Woodland and flecktarn camos nod to outerwear and military / Upsized and exploded prints add graphic boldness / Indigo-on-indigo looks create a subtle effect / Contemporary and modernized camo interpretations.
Stylesight is a leading provider of trend content, tools and technology for creative professionals in the fashion and style industries.